Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tips for Buying Souvenirs by Ethel Smith

Strange isn't it how the most peculiar gifts or souvenirs can look fabulous when you are on holiday and yet, when you return home, they just look and seem stupid?.In order to avoid wasting your valuable time and money whilst on holiday plan your shopping before you even set off and maybe it won't be quite such a disaster.

AVOID TOURIST SHOPS

Most tourist shops sell souvenirs which can be bought from anywhere on holiday and are overpriced. Check out the local stores and markets in order to buy the most unusual, authentic and best value souvenirs.

AVOID SOUVENIR JUNK

Many items that you may consider buying as a souvenir will be absolute rubbish. Of course if they are cheap, and you just want a fun item, then go for it.

TAKE YOUR TIME

On holiday on the Algarve this year a beautiful red handbag caught my eye. It was reasonably priced on a local market stall. I passed this stall a few times and despite the owner's attempts to persuade me to purchase, I took my time. The last day before going home I bought it and the stall owner told me that I was lucky that he still had these bags in stock. Well, if he had not I would not have lost any sleep over it. However, I did get a good bargain and something that I love to use. I am glad I took my time as, so often in the past, I have made a snap purchase only to find out later that it was either not what I really wanted, or what it seemed to be.

BARTER

Never be afraid to barter especially if you are traveling in Europe. Many countries shop owners love to barter as much as their customers do,so go for it.

REMEMBER HOME

A souvenir from a much enjoyed vacation may look lovely in the shop in Timbuktu, Phuket or somewhere equally exotic, but will it really fit on Aunt Maude's sideboard back home. The odds are that your gift will be a disaster in every sense.

CONCLUSION

Personally I try to avoid the tourist shopping areas. Usually all you find is row upon row of shops, all selling pretty much the same goods, which are poor quality and overpriced. Shop around but don't waste too much valuable holiday time shopping. After all the best souvenirs for yourselves are possibly some photographs and the great experiences and memories that your holiday will supply, which are worth their weight in gold.

------
Source: Tips for Buying Souvenirs by Ethel Smith

Whenever i shop, i just quickly go through the items available in the tourist shops to see what is generally available. From there, i then go to the local shops where unique yet cheap items are sold. It's still best to consult locals about this or expats who know their way around. The shopping tips in this article is practical and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.emailcashpro.com